Saturday, May 03, 2008

Spring flowers, tracks, trails and signs

Had a very pleasant circular walk through Hawthorn Dene yesterday morning. The plan was to photograph woodland flowers before the tree canopy grew over and the light levels became too low. I managed to see primrose, wild garlic, wood anemone, wild violet, celandine, early purple orchid (didn't have spotted leaves but I believe this is variable), dandelion(or at least a member of the Compositae), bluebell, wild arum, cowslip and stitchwort.

I also found roe deer tracks and some clawed tracks on a steep bank which I think are badger.

A fallen log had a large bracket fungus, Dryad's Saddle (Polyporous squamosus).

Birds included great tit, blue tit, marsh tit, nuthatch, robin and a magnificent pair of jays (which again flew off before I could get the camera on them but I'll keep trying!)

Grey squirrels get a bad press but one which I saw feeding in an open glade was very handsome with beautiful fur and a very bushy tail.















1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pictures ; thanks for sharing !
Anne, France

Tue May 20, 11:08:00 am BST  

Post a Comment

<< Home